Did you know that scientist use five different skills such as inferring, observing, predicting, making models and classifying to be successful. I used most of these skills during the Enigma Box experiment. I observed Mrs.Casey pour the box and inferred it would come out the tube in the bottom. We also made models by drawing the Enigma Box inside and out. I also predicted that the water would come out the tube immediately, I was wrong.
The Enigma Box is a black rectangular box. It has two holes on the top and a tube coming out the bottom on the side. When water is poured into the box none of the water comes out the tube until all the water is poured. What could this be from? I do not know what the inside of the box actually looks like, therefore I can only predict why the water does not come spilling from the box. At this point I am very confused about the Enigma Box.
I think the water stays inside the box because of some form of pressure. Until the box has reached it's maximum capacity, the pressure in the box is not great enough to push the water out. Once the pressure rises, the water rushes out of the tube very quickly. The pressure must start off with the water then use air pressure to finish out the job. I find these predictions very accurate.
What was actually happening inside the box is much different. There was a long tube placed inside the box in the shape of a breast cancer ribbon. The tube only contains as much water as the level of water in the box. Once the level has reached a certain spot, the water shoots out using air pressure for the last little bits. When you understand this, the Enigma Box becomes much less complex.
Wednesday, September 3, 2008
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
1 comment:
Wow Raine nice post =].....I really liked how you put questions in the paragraphs. That was very creative. We both described/ observed the box in almost the same way. Though i think you did better than me =P. You and I had a very different explanations on what was happening inside the Enigma Box. Yours was very close to the actual thing. That was impressive. Overall, you had a very well written blog..... =]
Post a Comment