Tuesday, May 12, 2009

Goodbye Post



Through out the duration of 8th grade I learned tons of exciting new things. In my class we all studied Astronomy, Weathering and Climate, Geology, Weathering and Erosion, and Earth's waters. I enjoyed learning new technology techniques while also learning about.


1.Astronomy
Astronomy is a very like-able science topic. My favorite thing about the subject was learning why Earth's seasons occur. I always thought that the seasons happened because of Earth's distance from the sun. In fact, our planet is always the same distance from the sun. It is Earth's 23.5 degree tilt that causes the seasons. Because of the tilt sunlight is directed at a more focused point. When the northern hemisphere is tilted toward the sun it is experiencing summer and the south is experiencing winter. Summer occurs in the southern hemisphere when it is tilted toward the sun; while this is happening the northern hemisphere is going through winter. I learned many new things while studying astronomy.

2.Weather and Climate (Earth's Atmosphere)
Weather and climate was a very fun unit. My favorite thing to learn about was the different layers of the atmosphere. I did not know there were separate layers before studying this topic. I also learned that the atmosphere is 78% nitrogen. And all the things that the atmosphere does for us including protect us from harmful UV rays and meteorites. This subject was quite interesting.





3.Geology

Geology proved to be very interesting. I liked learning about earthquakes the most. My favorite to study was why they occur. It is because of tectonic plates moving underneath the surface. I now know to have a safety kit with all my living essentials on hand. I also know to hide under a sturdy object in the case of an earthquake. Everyone should also be also be prepared for extremely dangerous aftershocks. Earthquakes were a very exciting topic to learn about.





4.Weathering and Erosion

I learned a lot more than expected about weathering and erosion. My favorite subject was the varying types of mass movement. The 4 different kinds of mass movement include landslides, mudflows, slump, and creep. I learned that landslides are a quick downhill movement of soil and rocks. Mudflows are very much like landslides but instead have water as well as rock and soil. Slump is a large mass of rock and soil that moves slightly. Last but not least, creep, like the others, is the movement of rock and soil but it moves extremely slow. Weathering and erosion was really intriguing.




5.Earth's Waters

I really liked learning about Earth's waters. My favorite thing to discover was that there are different types of wetlands. A Swamp is an area that looks somewhat like a flooded forest. A Bog is a type of wetland that is very acidic. It often has lots of moss and low shrubbery due to the acidity. Marshes are filled with low plants and shrub including cat tails. They resemble a flooded meadow. I learned how important the wetlands are to the environment and about all the varieties of wild life that live there. I learned so much about Earth's waters throughout this unit.




GOODBYE MIDDLE SCHOOL!!! HELLO HIGH SCHOOL!!!!! WoOt WoOt!!!! :D


No comments: